Sunday, January 30, 2011

Road to Trier... Day 2

Today was a leisurely Sunday... well rested, we woke up late, ate brunch downstairs... interesting German twist on standard brunch. Got my fill of sauteed mushrooms. NEVER had mushrooms for breakfast, but YUM!  Pate, brie, sausage, pork meatballs, although I skipped the baked beans and broiled tomato halves... hhhhmmmm.

We took off southwest on a quest to see Trier. (Treer) The oldest Christian church in Germany, and great Roman ruins around.  Trier was founded by Augustus in 16 B.C.  We toured the Porta Nigra and Museum, then found the Cathedral after going thru MarketSquare.  Thinking that this church was built after Christianity was LEGALIZED here A.D. 312... wow.  So much history, architecture, ornateness and grandeur!  It was a great afternoon. Seems it had snowed in the area, on the way home, but we had a dry, COLD day in Trier. WOW, it was cold!

I still cannot get over the common, natural charm of the small German villages, all of the little communities that dot every valley along the Autobahn, and how FAST these people drive... wow. Almost more important to watch your rearview mirror, than what is in front of you! Put the possibility of deer crossing the roads, and you have a recipe for disaster!  I did decide, that I have yet to see a police officer on the road yet.  Can't wait to talk to some of the younger locals about all of the customs and daily life. Younger locals, as those are the ones that speak more English!

For some reason, pictures won't load for me for the last 10 hours. I will post this update, and add the pics as soon as I figure out what is going on.... sorry.  You can see the pics on my me.com sight... if you have the link ;)

Melanie

No comments: